1. "How Will I Know" is my favorite Whitney song. It was her third single released off her debut album "Whitney Houston". It was third Top 5 hit in a row on the Billboard Hot 100 and her second consecutive #1 Hit of what would become seven consecutive #1 hits in a row. The song featured this great video and I had an instant crush!
2. "So Emotional" was another #1 hit for Whitney Houston. It was her third single off of her 1987 album "Whitney". The song was written by Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly, who also wrote Madonna's "Like A Virgin", Cyndi Lauper's classic "True Colors"and Heart's "Alone" to name a few. It was her sixth consecutive #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 in January of 1988.
3. It may surprise some that my favorite Whitney ballad was her first #1 hit, "Saving All My Love For You". This was only Whitney's second official single released after her debut hit "You Give Good Love", which peaked at Number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. Not only was this Whitney's first #1 Pop hit, it was also the song that earned her her first Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
4. This is most of my friends favorite Whitney song. It was first single off her second album "Whitney" in 1987. The song was written by the same pair who penned "How Will I Know". George Merrill and Shannon Rubicam, who a year later had their own smash as Boy Meets Girl "Waiting For A Star To Fall". I Wanna Dance With Somebody peaked at #1 in fourteen countries (including here in the USA).
5. "I Will Always Love You". From Whitney's film debut "The Bodyguard". This is Whitney's signature hit. Originally written and performed by Dolly Parton (even Dolly said she loved Whitney's version more than her own). This song spent a whopping 14 (yes 14) weeks at #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 which was a record at the time.