Award-winning musician and CT's own Jake Kulak has been performing professionally in front of audiences since the age of 12. In 2017 he performed at 60 professional gigs across the US -all while still attending high school and we are so excited to have him as a guest on The Local Spotlight!
Thrilling audiences from Norway to Boston and NYC, to the Mississippi Delta, Jake plays guitar-driven rock music which highlights his improvisational and jam abilities. His set list includes original rock and contemporary blues/rock music which he writes himself, as well as unique covers of blues and funk artists like Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Sly and the Family Stone and Funkadelic.
Jake has spent the last four summers playing the Blues in the home of the Blues - Clarksdale, Mississippi. He has also been CT’s entry in the International Blues Challenge Youth Showcase in Memphis, TN for the past four years. He and his band the LowDown were also nominated for a 2017 New England Music Award for “Best New Act of the Year”. His original song “Better” was chosen as a semi-finalist in the 2017 International Songwriting Competition, the “competition to take note of”, according to the New York Times.
“A hell of a guitar player, and you can quote me on that!” - Chris St. Hilaire, The London Souls
"Close your eyes as you listen to Jake Kulak of Glastonbury, and his band, the Lowdown and you’d swear you’re in a smoky roadhouse in the Mississippi delta listening to an old bluesman wailing on his guitar. Kulak’s playing is so forceful that it’s easy to forget that he’s only in high school. Kulak and the Lowdown have been nominated for a New England Music Award in the category of “Best New Act.”…. It’s easy to hear why. Authentic and real, Kulak’s music has a mature, emotional immediacy that rocks the house.” - West Hartford News, March 2017
- 2017 New England Music Award Nominee - New Act of the Year
- 2017 International Songwriting Competition - Semi Finalist
- 2018 Inductee CT Blues Hall of Fame
- Played the Notodden Blues Festival, one of the largest Blues festivals in Europe
- 1 of 6 Boston-area bands selected for the 2016 House of Blues "Bringin’ Down the House” National Emerging Artist Competition
- Represented CT at the International Blues Challenge Youth Showcase in Memphis for 4 consecutive years (2014-2017)
- Named one of 16 national “Blues Kids” by the Blues Foundation
- Winner of national scholarships and recognition from the Generation Blues Foundation, the Honeyboy Edwards Fund for the Blues, and the Pinetop Perkins Foundation.
- 1 of 3 acts invited to play the Black Eyed Sally’s “Young Guns” Showcase - a talent showcase of "Up and Coming" bands from CT and Boston
- Plays professional gigs weekly at venues including:
- The Iridium, New York, NY
- Blues City Cafe, Memphis TN
- Rum Boogie Cafe, Memphis TN
- BB King Blues Club, Memphis TN
- Ground Zero Blues Club, Clarksdale MS
- House of Blues, Boston, MA
- Black Eyed Sally’s, Hartford CT
- Theodores, Springfield MA
- Killarney’s, Ludlow VT
- The Acoustic, Bridgeport CT
- Guitar Under the Stars, Hartford Symphony Orchestra Event
- 2 Left Feet Blues Festival (2014-2016)
- Westport Blues, Views and BBQ Festival, Westport, CT
- Foxfire Ranch, Waterford MS
- Kimbro’s, Franklin TN
- i95 Bacon and Brew Fest, Danbury CT
- Manhattan’s, Burlington, VT
- Infinity Hall, Hartford, CT
- Cincy Blues Fest, Cincinnati, OH
- The Shrine World Music Venue, Harlem, NY
- Hops in the Hills Festival, Ludlow, VT
- Silvana, Harlem, NY
For booking Jake Kulak you can contact Debbie Dietzer at 860.748.3055.