There's a long stetch of hot weather coming over the next several days, and several Connecticut town and cities have already opened up their cooling centers to help out anyone that needs to beat the heat.
The following cooling centers are now open. Additional details about each location are available from 211CT.org
Towns are listed alphabetically by county.
New Haven County
Meriden1. Meriden Senior Center (for those 55 and over) 22 West Main Street PhoneHours: Monday - Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm July 4 - CLOSED
2. Meriden Public Library 105 Miller Street Phone: Information Desk - 203-238-2346 Summer Hours (July 1 – Sept 8, 2018) Monday – Thursday, 9:00am to 8:30pm Friday – 9:00am to 5:00pm Saturday, June 30 – 9:00am to 5:00pm Sundays - CLOSED NOTE: Starting July 1 – Saturdays and Sundays CLOSED July 4 - CLOSED
3. Westfield Meriden Square 470 Lewis Avenue Phone: 203-235-3343 Hours: Monday – Saturday 10:00am – 9:00pm Sunday 11:00am – 6:00pm
Bloomfield 1.) The Bloomfield Municipal Pool, 860-761-3597Hours: Weekdays - 1:00 - 4:00 pm - Recreational Swim. 6:00 - 8:00 pm - Family Swim. Weekends - 1:00 - 5:00 pm - Recreational Swim. 6:00 - 8:00 pm - Family Swim.**Please note: either membership or single admission day pass ($3.00 per person for Bloomfield residents) is required for admission to the pool.
2.) The Alvin & Beatrice Wood Human Services Center, 330 Park Avenue. 860-243-8361. 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on Friday and Monday. Please use the Community/Youth Center entrance on the west side of the building after 5pm.
3.) Prosser Library, 1 Tunxis Avenue. 860-243-9721. Open 10:00 am - 6:00 pm (Friday); 10:00 am - 2:00 pm (Saturday) and 10:00 am - 8:00 pm (Monday).
4.) McMahon Wintonbury Library, 1015 Blue Hills Avenue. 860-242-0041. Open 10:00 am - 5:00 pm on Friday, Saturday and Monday. The Town will provide water, but residents are asked to bring their own food. Please remember to also bring medications, emergency contact phone numbers, and any other items you may need during the day/Service dogs are always welcome. Please call for information regarding other pets.
BristolPublic Library, 5 High Street, 860-584-7787.F, Sat: 8am-5pm; M-T: 8:30am-8:30pm (Open Sat only for cooling - not regular library use); Closed July 4th.
CantonCanton Community Center 40 Dyer AvenueSunday, July 1 until 4:00pm
Enfield1.) Enfield Senior Center, 299 Elm Street, open during normal business hours.
2.) Enfield Public Library, 104 Middle Road.
3.) Pearl Street Library, 159 Pearl Street.
4.) Enfield Police Department, 293 Elm Street, Lobby available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
GlastonburySenior Center, Riverfront Community Center, 300 Wells StreetHours: Saturday June 30, open 8:30 am - 3:30 pm, Sunday July 1 open 12:00pm - 5 pm, Monday July 2, open 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Tuesday July 3, open 8:00 am - 8:30 pm, Closed Wednesday July 4, Thursday July 5, open 8:00 am - 8:30 pm, Friday July 6, open 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
Hartford1) Hartford Public Library, Downtown Branch, 500 Main Street, M–Th: 9:30 am – 8:00 pm, F, Sat: 9:30am– 5pm, Sun: 1– 5pm;
2) Albany Library Branch, 1250 Albany Avenue, M,W: 10am-6pm; T,Th: 10am-8pm; F,Sat: 10am-5pm
3) Barbour Branch, 261 Barbour Street, M,W: 10am-8pm; T,Th: 10am-6pm; F: 10am-5pm
4) Camp Field Branch, 30 Campfield Avenue, M,W: 10am-6pm; T,Th: 10am-8pm; F: 10am-5pm
5) Dwight Branch, 7 New Park Avenue,M,W: 10am-6pm; T,Th: 10am-8pm; F: 10-5pm
6) Park Branch, 744 Park Street, M,W: 10am-8pm; T,Th: 10am-6pm; F: 10am-5pm
7) SANDS/Ropkins, 1750 Main Street, M,W,Th: 3-6pm; T: 1:30-6pm F: 3-5pm
8) South End Wellness Center, 830 Maple Avenue, M-F: 8:30am-3:30pm
9) North End Senior Center, 80 Coventry Street, M-F: 9am-5pm
10) Parkville Senior Center, 11 New Park Avenue, M-F: 8:30am-4pm
11) Hispanic Senior Center, 45 Wadsworth Street, M-F: 8:30am-4:30pm
12) Samuel V. Arroyo Recreation Center, 30 Pope Park Road, M-F: 12noon-8pm; Sat: 12noon-4pm
13) Parker Memorial Community Center, 2621 Main Street, M-F: 12noon-8pm
Rocky HillCora J. Belden Library 33 Church StreetFriday, June 29, 2018: 10am-5pm; Saturday, June 30, 2018: 10am-5pm; Sunday, July 1, 2018: closed; Monday, July 2 10am-pm
Simsbury1.)Simsbury Public Library, (Lower Level Entrance) 725 Hopmeadow StreetFriday and Saturday 9:30am-5:30pm and Monday 9:30am-8:30pm.
2) Eno Memorial Hall (Senior Center) 754 Hopmeadow StreetFriday 8:30am-1pm and Monday 8:30am-7pm. For further information, call the Simsbury Social Services Department at 860-658-3283.
Southington 1) Southington Library, 255 Main StreetMonday through Thursday 9am-9pm: Friday and Saturday from 9am through 5pm
2) Calendar House (Senior Center), 388 Pleasant StreetMonday through Friday 8:30am through 4:30pm.
DarienDarien Library, 1441 Post Road, Hours: Monday - Thursday: 9am-9pm (Children's Library closes at 8pm); Friday: 9am-6pm; Saturday: 9am-5pm; Sunday: 1pm-5pm
Stamford1) Stamford Government Center, 1st Floor lobby, 888 Washington Blvd., Hours: M-F, (Sat-Sun): 7:30am-9pm
2) Glenbrook Community Center, 35 Crescent Street, Hours: M-F: 8am-9pm; Sat-Sun: 10am-8pm
3) Jewish Community Center, 1035 Newfield Avenue, M-Th: 5:30am to 10:00pm; F: 5:30am to 6:00pm; Sat-Sun: 7:30am to 6pm.
4) Chester Addison Community Center, 245 Selleck Street, Hours: M-F: 8:30am-6:30pm, Sat: 1-9pm, Sun: 2-9pm,
5) Building One Community: (formerly Neighbors Link Stamford), 75 Selleck Street, Hours: M-Sat: 7:30am-8pm, Sun: 8am-6pm ---In addition to these locations, residents are reminded that they can enjoy public access locations such as the Stamford Town Center and the Ferguson Library branches, as alternative cooling sites.
Coventry1) Coventry Volunteer Fire Association Main Station Community Room, 1755 Main Street,
2) North Coventry Volunteer Fire Department Main Station Community Room, 3427 Main Street -- Monday, July 2: 1) Coventry Town Hall, Conference Room B, 1712 Main Street. 11 AM – 4:30 PM,
3) North Coventry Volunteer Fire Department Main Station Community Room, 3427 Main Street. 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
Ellington1) Hall Memorial Library, 93 Main Street, Hours of Operation: Monday-Thursday :10 a.m.- 8 p.m., Friday 10 a.m.- 5 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. (Sept-June), 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. (July-August) - No pets. Residents of Ellington and other Communities are welcome.
2) Senior Center, 40 Maple Street, Hours: Monday - 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Tuesday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.. Saturday - Closed. Members only allowed to access Senior Cooling Center. No pets.
TollandTolland Public Library, 21 Tolland Green, Mon - Thu: 10am-8pm; Fri - Sat: 10am-5pm; Sun: Closed
WinchesterCooling Center available on Sunday, July 1st at the Hungerford Emergency and Medical Care Lobby at Winsted Health center, 115 Spencer Street from 9am-9pm.